Sunday, March 23, 2008

Aqua Tech Power Filter

cabbage Cut it loses crown Pinta

On my last trip to England a few weeks ago, making the obligatory visit to the pub, I noticed with some surprise that the rim of the glass that served me my beer was gone the traditional drawing of the crown which was used. Instead I found the European symbol "CE" accompanied by a cryptic set of numbers and letters.

I've been researching and it seems unless is the result of a European directive on measuring instruments which came into force recently. I also learned that the crown symbol dates from 1699, when it was used as a label certifying that the recipient has the volume regulation. The cartoon, until recently, was accompanied by a number identifying the inspection office has verified compliance.

Strangely, I have not found much echo in the mainstream media on the replacement of the crown at the "CE" (which, incidentally, finally I know what this means Conformité Européene). There is mention of it on the BBC , The Independent , and in rather more furious, of course, the Daily Mail , the ultraconservative newspaper lost no opportunity to enter the cloth against the abuses of Brussels, real or invented.

This time, however, I can not help feeling some sympathy with those who mourn the loss of the crown. This cute little detail decorated many drinks during my years living in England, and is certainly much more picturesque than the dry seal European bureaucracy.

More information: Why do
pint and half pint glasses in pubs Have A crown and a number on Them (The Guardian)
, Imperial pint Loses ITS crown (Pub Philosopher) , EU stealing the crown of the great British pint (Daily Mail) , Brewers battle to save Crown mark (BBC) , Brewers petition Blair over EU's move to decrown pints (Independent)

0 comments:

Post a Comment